Welcome to the DCTC Library's Administrative Support Capstone course guide. On this page you will find helpful information about the research and writing process, including links to help you evaluate and cite your sources.
The 2nd page has information about the resources in our library and how to find them using our catalog.
The 3rd page is a gateway to the Library's best online resources and web sites for this course, including some tutorials for these resources.
Let's get started!
In the Library
Use our catalog, OneSearch, to find the books and videos on our shelves, plus ebooks and streaming videos.
The best way to begin your search is to enter one or two keywords on your topic. To narrow your results, use the Modify My Results options on the left side of the screen. You can also click on a relevant title and click on one of its subject headings to focus your search on that particular topic.
Please ask a librarian if you need help locating anything you find in our catalog.
If we don't have the book, video, or article you're looking for, you can request it via interlibrary loan (ILL) and it will come to you. It's easy! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know what you're looking for and we'll do the rest.
We have lots of books and videos relevant to administrative work and workplace ethics in our collection, but they're not all shelved in one convenient location. Books about ethics in general can be found in the BJ call number range, while books about business ethics in particular will be under HF5387. Some books about medical office work can be found at R728, while books about law office management are in the KF318-322.5 range. So as you can see, the books you need could be in several locations. Don't hesitate to ask a librarian if you need help finding anything.
Here are just a few of our books about administrative work and workplace ethics:
We have print issues of OfficePro from the past three years, plus online coverage from 10/1/1997 to the present. OfficePro is published by the International Association of Administrative Professionals and covers office politics, the latest software, and more.
Films On Demand
Films On Demand offers lots of videos about workplace ethics, such as these:
- Ethics and Responsibility in Management (27:22)
- Protection: Privacy, Safety, and Standards-Ethical Issues in Nursing (20:42)
- Working Together: Professionalism 101 (28:14)
- Eliminating Workplace Bullying (13:56)
- An Introduction to Business Ethics (19:04)
- Best Practice Workplace Checklist (14:44)
- Workplace Relationships: Playing Your Part (20:13)
- The Case for HIPAA Risk Assessments (38:05)
- The Auditors Are Coming: How to Prepare for an OCR Audit (28:41)
- Documentation and Legal Apects for CNAs (37:05)
- Confidentiality Obligations by HR (7:08)
- Q&A: Ethical Behavior (13:05)
- Workplace Rights and Responsibilities (28:15)
- Doing the Right Thing (56:39)
There are millions of full-text articles in our EBSCO, Gale, and ProQuest databases. The best way to begin your search is to enter one or two keywords on your topic. Each database is different, but there will be ways to limit and focus your results so that you find the most relevant and useful articles available.
Our EBSCO databases are an excellent place to start your search for magazine and journal articles.
Please visit the Library or e-mail email@example.com if you have any questions about our online resources or if you'd like help finding articles on your topic.
Opposing Viewpoints features information and opinions on more than 400 social issues and current events. For each topic, you'll find viewpoint essays; reference information; full-text articles from magazines, academic journals, and newspapers; primary source documents; statistics; images; videos; audio; and trustworthy websites.
Selected web sites
- International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP)
- IAAP Code of Conduct
- NALS... the association for legal professionals
- NALS Twin Cities...the Association for Legal Professionals
- HIPAA for Professionals (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- HIPAA and COVID-19 (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Minnesota Law and Legislative Documents (Minnesota Legislature, Office of the Revisor of Statutes)
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services - Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
We have online access to OfficePro from 10/1/1997 to the present. OfficePro is published by the International Association of Administrative Professionals and covers office politics, the latest software, and more.
Here are just a few of the ebooks about administrative skills and workplace etiquette you'll find in our EBSCO eBook Collection:
OnBoard: All You Need to Know About Starting Out in Work Today
Alph Keogh, 2020
Mastering Business Letter Writing Skills: A Practical Approach
Nana Yaw Oppong, 2016