Find Background Information
Encyclopedia ebooks on health topics from Salem Press.
Health & Medicine E-book Collection
Selected ebooks on health and medicine topics from Gale.
Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
Includes information on more than 1,700 medical disorders and concepts. Each article includes in-depth discussion of causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatments, procedures, and other related topics. Written for a general audience with an authoritative tone.
Articles from dictionaries, general and subject encyclopedias, handbooks, atlases, and more.
Book Search searches the listing of books and ebooks available at the Normandale Library.
Find Articles: Databases
Peer-reviewed research articles from health care journals, nursing Continuing Education (CE) modules, standards of practice, evidence-based care sheets, and some health care ebooks. The primary database for nursing research.
Journal articles in the health and life sciences.
Nursing & Allied Health Premium (ProQuest)
Articles from academic and trade publications in nursing and allied health professions. Includes a video library of clinical trainings in nursing..
Medical Database (ProQuest)
Articles from health care and clinical science journals. Includes citations and abstracts from MEDLINE.
Open Access Databases
Citations and abstracts for articles in health and life science journals from MEDLINE and other sources.
Note: Click the Find Full Text button with the Normandale logo to see if the full text of the article is available in another database.. Cochrane Library
Cochrane Library provides access to six databases through one search interface. Not all articles have full-text available; you can request those articles through Normandale Library's interlibrary loan service.
Find Articles: Journals
If you know the name of the journal you want to search, use the Journal Title Search to see if it is available in print or online from the library.
- Journal of Evidence-Based Dental Practice: This journal presents original articles and reviews of articles on the results and outcomes of clinical procedures and treatment. Authors advocate the use or rejection of a procedure based on solid, clinical evidence found in literature.
- Canadian Journal of Dental Hygiene: Published by the Canadian Dental Hygienists Association, this journal features articles and reports about clinical dental hygiene practice, research, educational curricula, professional concerns and other related subjects.
- Modern Hygienist: This journal provides information for hygienists, focusing on patient care, career, and business practices.
- Journal of Periodontology: - The official journal of the AAP publishes original scientific articles to support practice, education, and research in the dental specialty of periodontics.
- Northwest Dentistry - Journal of the Minnesota Dental Association.
Journals Subscribed to by the Dental Hygiene Department
The Dental Hygiene Department subscribes to these journals.
- Journal of the American Dental Association
Monthly peer-reviewed publication on dentistry and dental science.
- Journal of Dentistry for Children - JDC promotes the practice, education and research specifically related to the specialty of pediatric dentistry. It covers a wide range of topics related to the clinical care of children, from clinical techniques of daily importance to the practitioner, to studies on child behavior and growth and development.
- Journal of Dental Hygiene: This journal contains scholarly and technical articles on dental hygiene practice, education and research
Open Access Journals
These journals offer their content for free online. Browse the current issue or look in the archive for past articles. Normandale Library also carries print copies of some of these titles.
- Dimensions of Dental Hygiene - Provides current publication and continuing education activities to support the field of oral health care.
- Journal of Public Health Dentistry
Devoted to the advancement of public health dentistry through the exploration of related research, practice, and policy developments.
Combined Search helps find articles, books, and videos from the library collection.
Ask a Librarian
Luke MosherReference and Instruction Librarianluke.firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Your chat question may be directed to a librarian from another college when Normandale librarians are unavailable.
If there are books and/or articles that you need for your research that Normandale Library does not own, you can request them through Interlibrary Loan. It usually takes from 3 to 5 days for the requested material to arrive at Normandale Library. This service is free to faculty, staff, and students.
Blank Request Form (StarID login)
Access Databases from Off Campus
In order to access databases and other Library resources from off campus, login with your StarID and password when prompted. Off-campus access to library databases is only available to current Normandale students, staff, and faculty.
Cite Your Sources (APA Citation)
Find Web Resources
American Dental Hygienists' Association
"Oral Care Information" tab contains an array of news, videos, and articles.
Health Science Center of the University of Texas
A database of Critically Appraised Topics (CATS) related to clinical dental hygeine from the University of Texas School of Dentistry at San Antonio.
Minnesota Dental Association (MDA)
Minnesota Dental Hygienists' Association (MnDHA)
Minnesota State Board of Dentistry (MSBOD)
National Center for Dental Hygiene Research and Practice (NCDHRP)
"Promote[s] the health of the public by fostering the development, implementation and dissemination of oral health research; establishing an infrastructure to support dental hygiene research; and, strengthening the scientific foundation for the discipline of dental hygiene."
National Dental Practice-Based Research Network
"A consortium of participating practices and dental organizations committed to advancing knowledge of dental practice and ways to improve it."