Welcome to the DCTC Library's Practical Nursing subject guide. On this page you will find helpful information about the research and writing process, including links to help you evaluate and cite your sources.
The 2nd page has information about the resources in our library and how to find them using our catalog.
The 3rd page is a gateway to the Library's best online resources and web sites for nursing, including some tutorials for these resources.
Let's get started!
In the Library
We have lots of books about nursing in our collection. Many of these are shelved in the RT call number range, but you'll find books about medicine and specific medical practices spread throughout the R ranges and anatomy and physiology books in the QM and QP ranges. Ask a librarian if you need help finding anything.
Here are just a few of our books about nursing:
Behind the circulation desk we have our Course Resources collection. These are books and videos that instructors have asked us to reserve for certain classes. Books for Practical Nursing courses include Understanding Medical Surgical Nursing, Neeb's Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing, and Safe Maternity and Pediatric Nursing Care. Books on reserve must be used in the Library, except with permission from your instructor to check them out overnight. Ask a librarian if you're looking for one of these.
Reference books and online resources like Access Science, Britannica Academic, Gale eBooks, and Salem Online are great for improving your background knowledge on almost any topic. These resources also provide images and videos, which you can use to liven up your papers and presentations.
Access Science covers all kinds of health related topics, from addiction to zoonoses.
Our Salem Health collection includes these titles:
- Addictions, Substance Abuse & Alcoholism
- Adolescent Health & Wellness
- Autoimmune Diseases Handbook & Resource Guide
- Community & Family Health Issues
- Dementia Handbook & Resource Guide
- Diabetes Handbook & Resource Guide
- Genetics and Inherited Conditions
- Infectious Diseases & Conditions
- Integrative, Alternative & Complementary Medicine
- Magill’s Medical Guide
- Nutrition, Obesity & Eating Disorders Handbook & Resource Guide
- Principles of Health: Allergies and Immune Disorders
- Principles of Health: Anxiety and Stress
- Principles of Health: Depression
- Principles of Health: Diabetes
- Principles of Health: Nursing
- Principles of Health: Obesity
- Principles of Health: Pain Management
- Principles of Health: Prescription Drug Abuse
- Psychology & Behavioral Health
- Women’s Health
Selected web sites
- American Nurses Association
- Minnesota Board of Nursing
- Minnesota Licensed Practical Nurses Association
- National Association of Licensed Professional Nurses (NALPN)
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- National League for Nursing
- Physicians' Desk Reference / Prescribers' Digital Reference (PDR)
CINAHL Plus with Full Text
Gale OneFile: Nursing and Allied Health
Gale OneFile: Nursing and Allied Health offers more than 10 million full-text articles, many of which are only cited in CINAHL. Coverage includes nursing.
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition offers full-text articles from hundreds of nursing and allied health journals, covering pediatric nursing, critical care, mental health, nursing management, medical law, and more.
There are millions of full-text articles in our EBSCO, Gale, and ProQuest databases. The best way to begin your search is to enter one or two keywords on your topic. Each database is different, but there will be ways to limit and focus your results so that you find the most relevant and useful articles available.
Our EBSCO databases are an excellent place to start your search for magazine and journal articles. One of these databases, CINAHL Plus with Full Text, offers full-text articles from more than 370 nursing and allied health journals.
Please visit the Library or e-mail email@example.com if you have any questions about our online resources or if you'd like help finding articles on your topic.
LearningExpress Library is an outstanding resource for academic and career development with hundreds of online tutorials, practice tests, and ebooks.
The Career Preparation center includes an ebook and three practice exams to help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN exam. You'll also find ebooks to help you with your job search, interviewing, networking, and workplace skills.
Here are just a few of the ebooks about nursing you'll find in our EBSCO eBook Collection:
Neeb's Mental Health Nursing, 5th ed.
Linda M. Gorman and Robynn Anwar, 2019
Lippincott Nursing Procedures, 8th ed.
Lippincott Visual Nursing: A Guide to Clinical Diseases, Skills, and Treatments, 3rd ed.
Debra Kantor, 2019
Numeracy and Clinical Calculations for Nurses, 2nd ed.
Neil Davison, 2020